Make sure you’re correctly licensed

TV Licensing is working with Dromara & Drumgooland Credit Union to ensure that people are aware of the circumstances when they have a legal responsibility to have a TV Licence. Put simply, you need to be covered by a valid TV Licence to receive or record television programmes as they are shown on television. TV Licensing enforces the licence fee on behalf of the vast majority of people who pay for their TV Licence. This is the case whether you are receiving the programmes via TV or any other device, such as a mobile phone or a PC.

Free licence for people aged 75 or over

You need a TV Licence to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV. This is the case whatever equipment you use. There are some instances when concessions are available however – read on to find out who is eligible and how to apply. Anyone aged 75 or over is entitled to apply for a free TV Licence. Once your free licence is issued it is valid for three years. After that you will be issued with a new one.

How to apply

Although it is free, people aged 75 or over do still need to apply for their TV Licence. To apply:

  • Have your national insurance number and date of birth to hand and
  • Fill in a form at or
  • Call 0300 790 6073

If you do not have your national insurance number, call 0300 790 6073 to arrange to provide other proof of your date of birth.

If you are not the current licence holder for your address and share your home with someone younger, you can still apply. Call TV Licensing as above and we will transfer your name onto the existing licence.

If you are 74

If your 75th birthday falls in the year covered by your next licence you can buy a short term licence to cover you until your next birthday (unless you live in Jersey or Sark where the rules are different). Having done this, you will automatically receive a free TV Licence when you turn 75.

Alternatively, if you have turned 75 but did not previously purchase a short term licence, you can claim a refund on an existing licence for the completed months that have passed since your birthday.

To buy a short term licence or claim a refund, call 0300 790 6073.

Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Licence

The Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Licence allows certain residents who live in homes qualifying for the scheme to use TV receiving equipment in their unit of accommodation. It costs £7.50.

For someone to be eligible for the concession, they must be living in either a local authority care home providing accommodation for disabled and retired people or a home managed by a person registered under Part II of the Care Standards Act 2000. A warden should live on the premises or work there for at least 30 hours a week.

In addition, the person themselves must be retired and aged over 60 or over, or have a physical or mental disability.

Wardens and housing managers should apply for and take responsibility for administering the licence on behalf of each person covered by it. They can call 0300 790 6011 for more information and to apply.

Moving home

You need to transfer you TV Licence to your new home to remain correctly licensed. It couldn’t be easier to update your records on the TV Licensing database, just call 0300 790 6142, visit or complete and return the ‘Moving Home’ card.