- Don‘t know what a credit union is?
- Do you want to know why credit unions are so good for you?
Did you answer Yes to any of above?
Well, all you have to do is to watch the DVD online here to find out more about credit unions and how they can benefit you!!
Dromara & Drumgooland Credit Union strongly recognises the importance of nurturing a relationship with its younger members and we run a number of initiatives for our younger members;
TOP TIPS FOR PARENTS TO HELP CHILDREN DEVELOP SMART MONEY HABITS
- Pocket money is a good way to help children learn to make their own decisions and live with them. How much to give will depend on age, maturity, responsibilities and the family’s financial situation.
- Give the pocket money in small denominations to encourage children to put some aside as savings.
- Consider linking pocket money to chores. Pocket money must be earned, the same way Mum or Dad earn money by going to work.
- Give advice to children but let them make their own spending decisions and mistakes. Don’t scold for mistakes; instead help them to see the error of their ways and learn for the future.
- Play simple counting games with notes and coins with young children.
- Consider rewarding children for regular saving (perhaps topping up savings).
- Make saving interesting. Develop a savings plan or calendar to show when and how the goal can be reached or help children to paint a picture of what they’re saving for.
- Let children learn that they have to save up to buy something they really want. Don’t let them get into the habit of running to you every time they need more money.
- Children love stories from their parents’ experiences. Talk to them about when and how you started saving, whether it was wisely invested and how it grew and any mistakes you might have learned from the experience.
- Explain how interest works. When you put money in a savings account, these savings earn more money at the end of the year.
- Give children a piggy bank to help them save or better still, bring them down to the local credit union to open a savings account.